It’s a Sunday morning tradition in our house to have pancakes for breakfast. These are the best pancakes ever and I’ll tell you for why.
Firstly, normal pancakes with egg and milk in, fried in oil, give me the trots.
Secondly, my mister can’t eat them because he has a dairy and egg allergy.
And last but by no means least, this is a super important point for me. Whenever I see vegan pancake recipes, they always include weird health food ingredients like flax seeds or have porridge oats or bananas as a base. They always come out flat, gritty and tasteless. Why bother?!
My pancakes have a super easy recipe and uses normal ingredients you will have in your cupboards so you won’t need to take a trip to the health food store to buy a massive bag of some random ingredient that you only need a teaspoon of. And THAT is why these pancakes are absolutely the best vegan pancakes ever. This recipe makes great big, thick, fluffy american pancakes. Yum yum!
Lets get crackin’
Dairy free milk
The first thing you need to do is pour 2 cups of milk into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to it.
Just leave it whilst you are getting the rest of the ingredients together. When you come back to it, it will have thickened like buttermilk.
I know it sounds strange but trust me, the pancakes will not taste of vinegar.
It is super important that you only use Baking Powder and not Baking Soda.
Baking soda will make your pancakes taste horrible!
Spray your pan with oil. I use sunflower fry-light on a medium heat. You can use any oil you want but I find the pancakes too greasy if you use oil that isn’t in a spray bottle.
I wanted to make big pancakes this time but you can fry 2 or 3 at a time if you want them a bit smaller.
The best part is adding the toppings. I like berries the best but you can add vegan chocolate, nuts, bananas etc
Big, fat, fluffy pancakes! YUM!
- 2 cups Self-raising Flour
- 2 cups Dairy Free Milk
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 4 tsp Baking Powder NOT SODA!
- Fry-Light or other spray oil
- Toppings and fillings you like =)
- Pour milk into a bowl and add vinegar. Leave it whilst you get other ingredients together.
- Put self-raising flour into a big bowl.
- Add sugar and baking powder to the flour.
- Add milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Heat frying pan to a medium heat and spray in some oil.
- Drop a ladle full of pancake mixture into the pan and add some toppings.
- Bubbles will start to form on top of the pancake. You will know when to flip the pancake when the bubbles stop popping or the top of the pancake goes from shiny to matt.
- Flip the pancake over and let it fry for another 30 seconds to a minute.
- Pop it on a plate and add all the toppings you like. Then get STUCK IN! =D
I hope you make these pancakes and love them as much as I do.
If you want to see more of my normal/not normal life then please follow me on Instagram